Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
From the Sunset Potluck Cookbook
Make and share this Old Fashioned Pear Spice Cake [with Cream Cheese Frosting] recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups salad oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 3 medium firm ripe pears, peeled, cored and diced (about 1 and 1/2 lbs total)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
Creamed Cheese Frosting
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, at room temperature
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- In the large bowl of an electric mixture, combine sugar, oil, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger salt and flour.
- Mix to blend; then beat at medium-high speed for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold pears and nuts into batter.
- Spread in an ungreased 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 350 oven until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. (50-55 minutes).
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare Cream Cheese Frosting.
- For frosting:.
- Beat [butter, cream cheese and vanilla] until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar until frosting is of good spreading consistency.
- Spread frosting over cool cake.