Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I know, I know, we shouldn't be eating fried foods. But once in a while you just want some plain old-fashioned good eats! If you don't have a wok, just use a frying pan or deep fryer. From Southern Living, Feb. 1986.
- 2 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 large pears, peeled and cored
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- sifted powdered sugar
- Combine 2 TB powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Slice pears 3/8 inch thick. Dip each slice in lemon juice mixture.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small mixing bowl.
- Combine beaten egg and milk; add to flour mixture, mixing well.
- Fill wok with oil half the depth of wok; heat to 360°F
- Dip pear slices in batter. Fry 1-2 minutes per side or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve hot.