Prep 24 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Made the way Grandma used to!
- Slice, peel, ripe hard peaches (about 10 large).
- Combine fruit and sugar; let stand about 12 to 18 hours (overnight is better) in a cool place.
- Sterilize canning jars.
- Bring fruit and sugar mixture slowly to bowling, stirring frequently. Boil gently until fruit become CLEAR and syrup thick, about 40 minutes.
- As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Skim (if necessary).
- Pour hot preserves into jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space.
- Wipe jar rims and adjust lids.
- Process 5 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- Makes about 7 half-pints jars.