Recipe by PainterCook
This is a variation on a pie recipe from a Farmer's cookbook I got years ago. If you can buy fresh peaches in bulk in the summer, as we can here in Colorado, you must make this pie. To easily peel peaches, cut "x's" in their bottoms, drop in boiling water for 1 minute, then plunge into an ice-water bath. The skins will peel right off. (This works great for tomatoes too.)
- 2 ready-made pie crusts, unbaked
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups fresh peaches, sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a 9" pastry dish with one of the crusts.
- Combine sugar, flour, nutmeg and salt and whisk to blend. Add this to the peaches. Sprinkle on lemon juice and almond extract.
- Pour into the pastry-lined pan. Dot with butter.
- Adjust top crust, crimp edges and cut steam vents, or use a lattice top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until crust is browned and peaches are tender.