Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Serve this pie when it's at its best - on the day it's made. This is one of my favorite peach pie recipes. It has a streusel topping. The amount of time to make includes chilling dough and cooling pie. I got this from Woman's Day magazine.
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces, Plus
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 lbs ripe peaches (about 9 medium or 7 large)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make crust in food processor: Stir water and yolk in a 1-cup measure or small bowl to blend.
- Pulse flour and butter until coarse crumbs form. With motor running, add yolk mixture. Process just until dough leaves sides of bowl. Remove blade, then dough.
- By hand: Mix water and yolk as above. Put flour in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add yolk mixture; stir with a fork until crumbs clump together to form a dough.
- Gather dough into a ball, flatten into a disk, wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes, or until firm enough to roll out.
- Mix sugar and flour in a large bowl. Add peaches and sprinkle with lemon juice; toss until evenly coated with sugar mixture.
- Put ingredients in a small bowl. Work with fingers or a fork to form coarse crumbs.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Have ready a 9-inch pie plate and foil-lined baking sheet.
- On a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle. Fit into pie plate.
- Roll overhang of crust up over edges to form an even rim. Flute or crimp edge.
- Spoon in filling, then sprinkle with streusel.
- Place pie on lined baking sheet (to catch any drips).
- Bake 45-50 minutes until pastry is golden-brown and peaches are tender when pierced. Remove to wire rack. Cool at least 1 hour before serving.
- Tip: To peel peaches easily, immerse them in boiling water 20-30 seconds, then immediately plunge them into ice water to stop cooking. Peel off skin with your fingers or a small knife.