Old Fashioned Orange Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- To prepare cake, combine sugar and butter; cream with a mixer at medium-high speed. Add eggs and orange zest; blend well.
- Reduce speed to low and beat in orange juice. Add flour alternately with milk; beat well. Pour into pans.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- To prepare icing, combine butter, orange zest, orange juice, and half the confectioners’ sugar. Using a mixer at low speed, beat until well blended. Gradually add remaining sugar; beat until smooth.
- Spread about ¾ cup of the icing on top of one layer. Place second layer on top. Spread remaining icing in a thin layer over top and sides.