Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was sent via email from All-recipes with a video showing onion rings that not only fry up crispy but STAY that way. The reason he reported is in the secret ingredient, instant mashed potatoes in the batter and panko crumbs. As an update: Made these and while the taste is good and they certainly stayed crispy, for some reason I had trouble getting the coating to stick when cooking. I think maybe I didn't have the oil hot enough when I started, or maybe I needed a 2nd breading?? Not really sure, but if anyone has an idea please let me know.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup club soda, cold
- 2 -3 cups panko breadcrumbs (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 -3 yellow onions, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- Mix flour, cornstarch, mashed potatoes and cayenne together.
- Add soda and let sit about 10 minutes allowing batter to thicken.
- Place Panko in seperate plate with salt to taste.
- Slice onions into 1/4 inch rings.
- Heat oil.
- Dip onion rings first in batter then in Panko and fry until done (about 2-3 minutes).
- Transfer to wire rack to drain.