Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
This recipe is from All Recipes.
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4 in slices
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk, as needed
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, dry
- seasoning salt
- oil, for frying approx 1 qt
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F.
- Separate the onion slices into rings, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture until they are all coated; set aside.
- Whisk the egg and milk into the flour mixture using a fork.
- Dip the floured fings into the batter to coat, then place on a wire rack to drain until the batter stops dripping.
- The wire rack may be placed over a sheet of aluminum foil for easier clean up.
- Spread the bread crumbs out on a plate or shallow dish.
- Place rings one at a time into the crumbs, and scoop the crumbs up over the rings to coat.
- The coating should cling very well. Repeat with remaining rings.
- Deep fry the rings a few at time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove to paper towels to drain. Seasoning with season salt, and serve.
These are delicious! I discovered I didn't have "plain" bread crumbs, just dried italian, so I used panko. I think they'd be better with regular dried bread crumbs, but they were super good as I made them. Made for Best of 2012 Tag game. Thanks for sharing!
Yum! I followed the directions as stated and these came out great. I did lose some of the breadcrumbs as they were frying, but they were great anyway. Served with lots of tartar sauce and wolfed these down. Thanks Lynn for another keeper. Made for ZWT8 - Great Britain.
Perfect onion rings!!! I made these in a scaled back version to serve one. I put some on a plate to take out side for a photo and when I came back in 20 yo DS (who doesn't normally like onion rings) was eating the few other onion rings on the paper towel and then he tried to steal more from my plate, lol!! Definitely a winner in this house. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT8.