Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 mins
these are terrific...had them at our last backyard cookout...
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup prepared ranch dressing
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- canola oil
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water
- In large bowl, combine buttermilk and ranch dressing; blend well.
- Add onions which have been separated into rings and toss until well coated.
- Cover, refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Fill large deep fry pot or electric skillet to no more than half its depth with canola oil. Heat oil to 325°F to 350°F.
- In large bowl -- combine flour, garlic salt, lemon pepper, and cayenne pepper; blend well.
- Working in small batches, place onion rings into flour mixture; coat well.
- Remove, dip into egg mixture.
- Return rings to flour mixture. Coat well.
- Lightly shake off excess flour.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with additional garlic salt if desired.