Recipe by Annacia
This homey, comforting cereal is like warm granola, especially with the crunchy honey-toasted walnut topping.
Top Review by PaulaG
Hot cereal is something we have 2 to 3 times a week for breakfast. The recipe was reduced by half using only 2/3 cup of oats. As I don't read directions well the apple juice was substituted for part of the water. The apple was coarsely grated and the yogurt was Greek low fat yogurt. This is a hearty and warming breakfast treat that really sticks with you. Made for Zaar Stars Tag Game.
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup apple, finely chopped peeled
- 1⁄4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir chopped walnuts in small nonstick skillet over medium heat until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Drizzle honey over and stir until honey thickens and coats nuts, about 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Stir to loosen nuts from skillet and cool.
- Bring 3 cups water to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- Add oats and salt and stir over medium heat until oats are softened and very thick, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in apple juice, chopped apple, brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until apples are tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Divide cereal among 4 bowls.
- Top with vanilla yogurt and honey-toasted walnuts and serve.