Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This homey, comforting cereal is like warm granola, especially with the crunchy honey-toasted walnut topping.
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup apple, finely chopped peeled
- 1⁄4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- Stir chopped walnuts in small nonstick skillet over medium heat until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Drizzle honey over and stir until honey thickens and coats nuts, about 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Stir to loosen nuts from skillet and cool.
- Bring 3 cups water to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- Add oats and salt and stir over medium heat until oats are softened and very thick, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in apple juice, chopped apple, brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until apples are tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Divide cereal among 4 bowls.
- Top with vanilla yogurt and honey-toasted walnuts and serve.
Hot cereal is something we have 2 to 3 times a week for breakfast. The recipe was reduced by half using only 2/3 cup of oats. As I don't read directions well the apple juice was substituted for part of the water. The apple was coarsely grated and the yogurt was Greek low fat yogurt. This is a hearty and warming breakfast treat that really sticks with you. Made for Zaar Stars Tag Game.
Made this wonderful recipe as given, & the 2 of us had a very satisfying, somewhat-large bowl of it for breakfast! Definitely a winning breakfast & a keeper of a recipe! Another time I'll be using some homemade applesauce in it & maybe cut back just slightly on the brown sugar! Still, as made this first time, it was great! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Went to the Market recipe tag]
Just like eating a dessert for breakfast hee hee. Love every thing in this tasty breakfast and the glazed walnuts on top make a wonderful treat. Made as written cutting down to serve two. Started to burn the walnuts due to a mishap in the kitchen. Thanks so much for the tasty post.