Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are moist, delicious and chock full of fiber! This recipe is adapted from one I found in a 1950's version of the Betty Crocker cook book. The base is so versatile you can add anything you want, or nothing at all.
- Gather up 3 bowls.
- In the first bowl (this should be the largest bowl), place 1 cup of Old Fashioned Oats. Pour the milk into the measuring cup and add the vinegar or lemon juice to the milk. Mix it a little bit then pour into the bowl with the oats. Stir to be sure the oats are relatively evenly coated. Let stand for at least an hour, grab your keys and take a stroll around the neighborhood, or watch a little TV.
- In the second bowl, mix 1/3 cup softened butter (or shortening--but I prefer the buttery taste), 1/2 cup Splenda for Baking, 1 tablespoon of Molasses (you can substitute brown sugar for both the Splenda and Molasses) and 1 egg.
- In the third bowl, sift 1/2 cup All purpose flour, 1/2 Whole Wheat Flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt together.
- After the oats have soaked for an hour, gently fold the butter/sugar mixture and the flour mixture into the oats alternatively. You may add additional ingredients. Raisins and Walnuts are good. I have put chocolate chips in with a very nice result. I have also used Ghiadelli White Chocolate Chips and a couple chopped macadamia nuts.
- Spray some Pam into the bottom of a muffin tin. You can of course also use muffin tin liners. Fill each cup a 2/3 full.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven (preheated) for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool off and enjoy.
- Allowable substitutions in the recipe are as follow: *You may substitute Lemon Juice for White Vinegar to "sour" the milk. *You may substitute Shortening for Butter or you can substitute unsweetened Apple Sauce for the butter. *You may substitute Brown Sugar for both the Splenda and Molasses.
YUM!!! Made this tonight. Put very hot milk on the rolled oats and used it after 20 minutes, used brown sugar instead of Splenda, did not add molasses, added 1 tsp vanilla and 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Really good results! Very moist muffins! Will use the same recipe next time but add cinnamon and raisins. :)
Double the batch. You won't want to share these!