Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
These cookies goes back at least 4 generations on my mother's side of the family. This makes a soft chewy cookie. This is comfort food for me.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dissolve the baking soda in boiling water.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt the butter or margarine. Add rest of ingredients and mix well.
- Drop batter onto a cookie sheet and flatten with a fork. Bake in a 350° oven for 12 minutes.
I have tried several oatmeal cookie recipes from this site and have to say that this one is the best so far! I guess it's true to say that simplicity is sometimes best! I made it as is but added raisins... thanks for posting this delicious recipe :)
I made these earlier today halving the ingredients, which gave me nine large cookies. They are very quick & easy to make, soft & chewy with slightly crisped edges, and not overly sweet. And the oats make them healthier than some! :) As someone who favours crisp, crunchy cookies I'd rate it a 4. My SO, however, likes soft & chewy textures and gives it a 5, so I'll go with that. Will make again, I'm sure. Thanks, Abby Girl!