Recipe by COOKGIRl
From the Albertsons/Sav-On Company. Lots of nutritious but delicious ingredients!Ideal dish for a brunch selection. Vegan-friendly.
Top Review by MargoMart
My husband raves about this recipe and keeps asking me to make it over and over. He takes it to the office for breakfast every morning and he says he like to eat it cold. I think he likes it because it reminds him of bread pudding in a way. I actually haven't tried it yet but I did follow the recipe. I used pecans instead of walnuts and I used dried cranberries.
- 1 3⁄4 cups vanilla-flavored soymilk or 1 3⁄4 cups vanilla-flavored rice milk or 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon soy margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (NOT quick cooking)
- 1 apples (I used a combination of both) or 1 pear, peeled, seeded, cored and chopped small (I used a combination of both)
- 1⁄3 cup dried tart cherries or 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries or 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 2 tablespoons unbleached cane sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 tablespoon unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon real vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla-flavored soy milk or rice milk)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (my addition)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly toast walnuts and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with butter or margarine substitute.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the soy milk (or substitute) and butter to the boil. Slowly stir in the oats with a fork.
- Stir in the apple and/or pears, dried fruit of choice, toasted walnuts, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, vanilla extract if using, cinnamon, and the salt.
- Cook mixture, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Be careful not to burn! Pour the oatmeal mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered for 15 minutes. The last 5 minutes of cooking, sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of brown sugar on top and bake until the top is bubbly.
- Serve warm with additional warmed soymilk or milk served on the side if you wish.
- For vegan use soy milk, rice milk and soy margarine options.