Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was my grandmother's. She would bake it for her ladies club and serve with home churned butter.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
- Work in shortening.
- Add egg, milk and nuts. Beat throughly.
- Turn into well greased loaf pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees.
This bread has a scone-like taste and texture. It was just ok to me (I am not a big fan of scones). My kids liked it fine though. It was very easy to make, the batter was thick but was spreadable inside the pan. Thanks for posting your Grandma's recipe, racrgal! Made for My 3 Chefs-Fall '08