Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my mother's recipes. I have never made it but I certainly remember eating it! The pickles are very tart but tasty for anyone who likes mustard.
- 2 quarts soft water
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 2 cups peeled pickling onions
- 2 cups pickling cucumbers
- 3 large cucumbers
- 2 cups green tomatoes
- 1 pint celery, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped and seeded
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped and seeded
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
For the sauce
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 quart cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- Make a brine by mixing 1/2 cup salt and 2 quarts soft water in a large bowl.
- In the water, soak the onions, pickling cucumbers, large cucumbers and green tomatoes overnight.
- The next day, drain the vegetables.
- Cut the large cucumbers and green tomatoes into thick slices.
- Cook the onions and cauliflower in boiling water until they are barely tender.
- Drain and add to bowl.
- Add celery and sweet peppers to bowl.
- Now prepare the sauce by mixing the sauce ingredients in a large pot.
- Cook, stirring until smooth and thickened.
- When the sauce is boiling, stir in the vegetables.
- Just heat through-- do not cook the vegetables.
- Spoon immediately into freshly scrubbed pint jars.
- Make sure the vegetables are covered in hot mustard sauce and seal.