1/1 Photo of Old-Fashioned Molasses Crinkles
"These cookies are about red checked fabrics, and aprons, and wonderful smells. You can sandwich these together with cream cheese in the middle..or ice cream..or pumpkin butter…or… Cold milk or coffee are essential!" Source: http://www.bakingdelights.com/2007/08/10/old-fashioned-molasses-crinkles/
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4-1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grandma's molasses
- granulated sugar
- 1Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, pepper, and salt in a bowl until combined.
- 2Beat together shortening, butter, and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a stand mixer (preferably fitted with paddle attachment) or 6 minutes with a handheld. Add egg and molasses, beating until combined. Reduce speed to low, then mix in flour mixture until combined.
- 3Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 375°F.
- 4Roll 1 heaping teaspoon of dough into a 1-inch ball with wet hands, then dip 1 end of ball in sanding sugar. Make more cookies in same manner, arranging them, sugared side up, 2 inches apart on two ungreased baking sheets.
- 5Bake cookies, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until undersides are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes total, then cool on sheets 1 minute. Transfer to racks to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Molasses Crinkles
Serving Size: 1 (24 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 104.0
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 9.2 mg
- Sodium 108.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 1.0 g