Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you have left-overs, use to make meatloaf sandwiches.
- 4 slices bacon
- 6 scallions
- 1 cup firm fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (or 1 lb ground beef, 1/4 lb. ground pork and 1/4 lb. ground veal mixed together)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1 1/2 t. dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup bottled chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until limp and some of the fat is rendered; remove bacon from skillet and drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Thinly slice the scallions, separating the white and green parts.
- In a small bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in the milk and sour cream for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, use your hands to thoroughly combine the ground beef with the next 9 ingredients, the white part of the scallions, and the soaked bread crumbs and any liquid.
- Pat down mixture into a 9x5 inch loaf pan, smoothing the top.
- Arrange bacon strips on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is baking: in a small bowl, combine the chili sauce, brown sugar, and mustard.
- Spread over the partially baked meatloaf.
- Sprinkle with the sliced scallion greens.
- Bake an additional 25 minutes or until the meatloaf is firm, the top is browned, and a meat thermometer inserted in the center reads 155°.
- Let the meatloaf stand in the pan for 10 minutes before slicing to serve.