Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
These yummy meatballs are made with a mixture of beef and Italian sausage. They are placed in a baking dish, smothered in tomato sauce, topped with grated Romano cheese and baked in a hot oven. This saves the step of browning them on top of the stove and the sauce is wonderfully seasoned with the meatball juices and Romano cheese.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 3⁄4 cups canned crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 5 leaves fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- Remove ground beef and sausage from refrigerator 30 to 60 minutes before cooking.
- Place bread crumbs in large bowl and stir in 1/3 cup water.
- When absorbed, blend together with eggs, garlic, grated Romano, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Add meats to bread crumb mixture and combine well with fork.
- Form into 12 even meatballs.
- Place in 1 layer in 9x13” baking dish so each is separated by about 1 inch.
- In a separate saucepan, sauté 2 cloves of garlic in olive oil.
- Add crushed tomatoes and water.
- Add fresh basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour tomato mixture over and around meatballs.
- Sprinkle tops with grated Romano cheese.
- Bake in center of oven until meatballs are just cooked through, about 25 minutes.
Made this and served with manicotti, loved it and have a request to make it again this weekend. Thanks for a great recipe Marie.