Recipe by Galley Wench
This is comfort food at our house! Original recipe comes from The Gourmet Cookbook, however I've modified to make it my own! Enjoy!
Top Review by Baby Kato
Thank you for sharing this super tasty meatloaf recipe Galley Wench. We enjoyed it for dinner last night. It was awesome. So tender, juicy and flavorful. It smelled wonderful while cooking, I knew that it was going to be special, just didn't realize how much. It was quick and really easy to make and the flavor was out of this world good. Really enjoyed this comfort food with mashed potatoes and fried cabbage. Made exactly as written, wouldn't change a thing, I used hot sicilian pork sausage. It worked really well.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sweet onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round (or chuck)
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork sausage (such as Jimmy Dean)
- 1 cup bread, crumbs fine
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F; position oven rack to middle of the oven.
- Melt butter in heavy skillet and saute onions, garlic and celery for approximately 4-5 minutes; until onions are translucent.
- Add salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup ketchup; cook for 1 minute, until combined.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add meats, bread crumbs and eggs; blend with your hands; do not overmix.
- In in 9 x 13 pan (sprayed with cooking oil) form the mixture into a 10 x 5 inch oval loaf.
- Mix brown sugar with remaining ketchup and spread on top.
- Bake until interntal temperature registers 155 degrees F; approximately 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove from oven, cover with foil and allow to stand for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.