Recipe by COOKGIRl
I found this recipe today in our local grocery store's advertisement/flyer. It is easy to make and very moist! Meant to be enjoyed with a cup of coffee!
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup sugar plus 1 cup sugar (I always use unbleached white sugar)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream or 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease an 8" bundt pan with butter then lightly dust with flour.
- In a double boiler melt the unsweetened chocolate with 1/4 cup sugar, water and vanilla extract. Stir. Set aside to cool. (I used a heatproof glass container and melted the mixture in a microwave.).
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the remaining 1 cup sugar, sour cream and the softened butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Mixing on slow speed, alternate dry ingredients and the buttermilk into the mixture.
- Mixing on low speed, beat until just incorporated, stopping to scrape down the sides.
- Once combined, beat on high speed for 2 1/2 minutes.
- Set aside 2 1/2 cups of the batter.
- Beat the melted chocolate mixture into the large mixing bowl of batter until combined and smooth.
- Alternately spoon the plain batter and the chocolate batter in the prepared bundt pan.
- Use a butter knife to cut through the batter to create a marble effect.
- Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cook cake 10 minutes, invert onto a cake platter.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar while still warm.
- Yield: One 8" bundt cake.