Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
A family recipe passed down through the generations of my family was always made for the holidays.
Make and share this Old Fashioned Maine Needhams recipe from Food.com.
- Pare, cook and mash potatoes, or run the potatoes through a ricer to make certain you have no lumps.
- Add salt.
- melt the margarine in a microwave.
- Add potatoes, conf sugar, vanilla and coconut.
- It will create a very thick mixture.
- Mix well and then turn onto a pan lined with well buttered waxed paper.
- Spread evenly.
- Place another piece of buttered waxed paper on the top to keep the filling moist.
- Place in cool place and let harden.
- The trick to this is to allow the filling to harden 2 or 3 days if possible.
- If they start to get mushy when you attempt to dip them, try putting them into the freezer for about 30 minutes Cut into squares and dip.
- Chocolate dip: Using a double boiler put parafin in the top over boiling water and melt.
- Add both chocolates and melt.
- Stir well to mix ingrediants.
- Using a meat fork or a wooden kabob stick, dip the filling into the chocolate.
- Drain each square well before placing onto taxed paper.
- Let harden.
- Should yield 66 good sized squares.