Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
When my daughter was little, she used to call this "macaroni and home-made cheese" much to the delight of her grandmother with whom the recipe originated. Grandma always used Velveeta, but we usually use cheddar. I have used whatever I have on hand. Monterey Jack is especially good. Use your favorite cheese. This recipe takes little more effort than a box, is faster than frozen, and is oh so much better than both. Everyone will think you cooked all day.
- 2 cups macaroni, raw (8 ounces)
- 2 cups hot water
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 8 ounces cheese, cut into cubes
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- Mix macaroni, water, butter, onion salt, and pepper in 2-quart covered casserole; cover tightly.
- Microwave on high 5 minutes; stir.
- Cover tightly and microwave on medium(50% power) to boiling, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in milk, cheese, and flour.
- Cover tightly and microwave on high (100% power) stirring every 4 minutes for 10 to 12 minutes until bubbly and tender.
I love this method!! It needed some tweaks to get the seasoning right, but I was using a mild cheddar which can be very bland. I'm so thankful for a faster way to make M&C that my kids will actually eat. Thanks!
The dish itself tasted fine. It wasn't spectacular, and it wasn't horrible. However, the microwave instructions were not accurate and the water boiled over a few times. I would suggest half the microwave time, or just make it over the stove. Also, I used swiss instead of cheddar, used real onions, and added some red pepper flakes(personal taste.)