Recipe by ctrmom
When my daughter was little, she used to call this "macaroni and home-made cheese" much to the delight of her grandmother with whom the recipe originated. Grandma always used Velveeta, but we usually use cheddar. I have used whatever I have on hand. Monterey Jack is especially good. Use your favorite cheese. This recipe takes little more effort than a box, is faster than frozen, and is oh so much better than both. Everyone will think you cooked all day.
Top Review by angie_pangie
I love this method!! It needed some tweaks to get the seasoning right, but I was using a mild cheddar which can be very bland. I'm so thankful for a faster way to make M&C that my kids will actually eat. Thanks!
- 2 cups macaroni, raw (8 ounces)
- 2 cups hot water
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 8 ounces cheese, cut into cubes
- 1⁄3 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix macaroni, water, butter, onion salt, and pepper in 2-quart covered casserole; cover tightly.
- Microwave on high 5 minutes; stir.
- Cover tightly and microwave on medium(50% power) to boiling, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in milk, cheese, and flour.
- Cover tightly and microwave on high (100% power) stirring every 4 minutes for 10 to 12 minutes until bubbly and tender.