Recipe by Snowyowl/PB
This recipe is from my 30 year old Betty Crocker Cook Book. I am always asked for this great old recipe by friends so I thought that I would share it with my new friends. This is also a great start for milk gravy and sauage gravy. Not to state chipped beef ,add your beef after step 4. Also good if you add tuna ( 6 1/2 oz) or hot dogs(1 cup) or ham(1 cup) after step 4. So Enjoy!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni as directed on package.
- Cook and stir butter, onion,salt and pepper over medium heat until onion is slightly tender.
- Blend in flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly, Boil and stir 1 minute ; remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Place macaroni in ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Stir cheese sause into macaroni.
- Cook uncovered in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.