1/2 Photos of Old Fashioned Luncheonette Hot Dog
As a child in the 60's and 70's, my Mom would treat us to a hot dog at the local department store back in the day when they had a Luncheteria. She watched the simple way they made them so we could enjoy them at home. They became a staple for our family as a Saturday night dinner. I know some friends of mine raised their eyebrows at the buttering of a bun, but that's how the luncheonette ladies made them and they tasted so good and my friends agreed. I just used the serving number of 8 to account for 4 servings of two hot dogs apiece, as you can't just have one! Always try to use the best quality hot dogs as you can.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in a non-stick pan to medium heat.
- 2Prepare fresh buns by opening and buttering them.
- 3Add sliced or chopped onions to fry. When browned, remove onions to keep warm, or keep them in the pan pushed to the side.
- 4Slice hot dogs down the middle but not all the way through (keep it connected). You want to pry them open to have a double wide face down hot dog.
- 5Lay them flat, cut side down in the seasoned pan and cook until brown, Flip to the other side and brown.
- 6When browned to your liking, remove from pan. Keep pan on medium heat.
- 7Put buttered buns face down in the hot pan to toast them (I press them down a couple of times so butter and pan connect). When nice and brown, remove them.
- 8Assemble the hot dog and sauteed onions into the bun.
- 9Dress with mustard and ketchup and anything else your heart desires! Pour a nice, ice cold Coke with a straw, add some krinkle fries, and enjoy a trip back in time!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Luncheonette Hot Dog
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 547.9
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 47.7 mg
- Sodium 1439.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 18.5 g