1/3 Photos of Old Fashioned Lovage and Potato Soup
French Tart's Note:
A family favourite in our household.....a creamy and easy soup which needs nothing more than good crusty rolls or home-baked bread to serve with it. This travels well in a Thermos flask making it an ideal and comforting soup to take on a picnic. This recipe is based on a Historical 16th/17th Century recipe, no milk was added then - it was made with stock only.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 kg potato, scrubbed and cubed
- 500.0 ml good vegetable stock (adjust to give preferred consistency) or 500.0 ml chicken stock (adjust to give preferred consistency)
- 500.0 ml milk
- 73.94 ml chopped lovage (retain small amount for garnish)
- salt & pepper
- 1In a large saucepan, saute the chopped onion in olive oil until translucent; then add the cubed potatoes and mix together.
- 2Add the stock and milk, simmering until the potatoes are nearly tender.
- 3When potatoes are soft,add the lovage and liquidise the soup, adding further stock or milk if a thinner consistency is required.
- 4Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Return to the saucepan and heat through gently - do NOT allow the soup to boil.
- 6Serve hot and garnish with the remaining lovage and crusty bread and butter or bread rolls.
- 7This travels very well in a thermos flask for a warming picnic soup.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Lovage and Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.6
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 18.1 mg
- Sodium 79.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: