Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of the first recipes that I added to my first recipe file that was my very own, back when I was in junior high school. I have used this recipe ever since whenever I want to make that classic summertime necessity....lemonade. And it has never failed me yet.
- 6 cups cold water
- 2 cups lemon juice (8 to 10 lemons)
- 1 cup sugar
- ice cube
- lemon slices (optional) or maraschino cherry (optional)
- To get the most juice, let lemons stand at room temperature (or microwave lemons on High for just a few seconds before squeezing them). Then roll the lemons on a counter while pushing down firmly (to break the tissues inside) to release more juice.
- Mix water, lemon juice, and sugar in a large pitcher until sugar is dissolved.
- Refrigerate about 3 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
- Pour lemonade over ice cubes in a tall glass. Garnish each serving with a lemon slice and maraschino cherry.
- NOTE - Individual tastes for sweetness vary, so feel free to adjust the sugar to suit taste preferences.
What drink sounds good on a cold Fall night? A big glass of ice cold lemonade! That's what my son wanted anyway so this recipe hit the spot. I made this exactly as listed, using lots of fresh lemons. He did add a bit more sugar but that's the only change. You get a big 5 stars from my boy! Made for my adopted chef for PAC 2011. Thanks NorthwestGal!
I scaled this down to one cup using ReaLemon and didn't chill it. It was surprisingly good and seems like a simple go-to recipe for just about any occasion. Very simple, and good. Thanks!
Delicious like another reviewer I love the tart not too sweet flavor. I cut this back to one serving and that used 1 fresh lemon. I would definitely make this again during the summer months. Made for Please Review My Recipe Tag Game.