This is one of the first recipes that I added to my first recipe file that was my very own, back when I was in junior high school. I have used this recipe ever since whenever I want to make that classic summertime necessity....lemonade. And it has never failed me yet.
- To get the most juice, let lemons stand at room temperature (or microwave lemons on High for just a few seconds before squeezing them). Then roll the lemons on a counter while pushing down firmly (to break the tissues inside) to release more juice.
- Mix water, lemon juice, and sugar in a large pitcher until sugar is dissolved.
- Refrigerate about 3 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
- Pour lemonade over ice cubes in a tall glass. Garnish each serving with a lemon slice and maraschino cherry.
- NOTE - Individual tastes for sweetness vary, so feel free to adjust the sugar to suit taste preferences.