Recipe by Megohm
Straight-to-it, no nonsense, Southern lemon poundcake! A variation from the Fish Family Cookbook, out of South Carolina. You can make this any old way you want, you can substitute some vanilla for the lemon zest, and add anything you want. Cherries, pineapple, coconut, chocolate chips, blueberries, orange zest, just about anything! I like to make a simple glaze for this with 1.5 cups icing sugar, 1 tsp lemon zest, and 1/4 cup lemonade, but you could also use milk or water.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest or 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup shortening (or butter!)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Mix well, or use a sifter.
- Stir in lemon zest.
- In a mixing bowl, cream sugar and shortening very well, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well each time.
- Next, add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour into a well-greased bundt or tube pan, and place in a 350 degree F oven for about 60 minutes, or until it tests clean with a toothpick/knife, and cake springs back when touched.