Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a wonderful tart/sweet pie. It is amazingly easy and quick to make this from-scratch pie. Use a store bought pie crust for convenience. It needs to chill in the fridge at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. I usually try to have my meringue going while the filling is cooking so that it will be ready while the filling is still nice and hot so it doesn't seperate, but not too soon so it doesn't weep. Sometimes I make it and sometimes I don't, but either way its an amazingly delicious pie.
- 1 prebaked pie shell
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, divided, boil 1 cup
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks, well beaten (reserve whites for meringue)
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Baked the pie shell until lightly golden according to package directions. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan (without heat), combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine. Gradually blend in 1/2 cup cold water and lemon juice until smooth. Add egg yolks, blend thoroughly. Finally, add pieces of butter.
- Stirring constantly, gradually add 1 cup boiling water. Now turn on the heat and bring mixture to a full boil, stirring gently.
- Once mixture begins to thicken, turn heat down and simmer slowly for 1 minute or until well-gelled.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest.
- Pour hot mixture into cooled pie shell.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and then gradually add sugar and vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Use to top lemon filling while it is still hot.
- Make sure meringue completely covers filling and that it goes right up to the edge of the crust.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until meringue is golden. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, chill in the refrigerator until nice and cold.