Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my mother's recipe, and one thing my mother does better than anyone I know, is making pie. You can serve it w/o the meringue which is what I do as I'm not fond of it. I like variety so I like to put a cream cheese layer on the bottom sometimes and then the lemon over the top (since I don't use the meringue). This makes enough for 2-3 pies, depending on how full and tall you like them, however you can 1/2 the recipe. Also I use Alice's Pie Crust for the crust when I'm not being lazy (for that I use a Nilla wafer or shortbread crust).
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups lemon juice
- 10 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- pre-baked pie crust
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (heaping)
- 10 large egg whites
- Heat sugar, 4-1/2 c water, and salt to boiling.
- Meanwhile, stir 1 cup water and cornstarch together.
- Slowly add cornstarch mixture into boiling sugar water.
- Cook till thick and clear.
- Beat egg yolks and lemon juice together and slowly add to sugar mixture.
- Bring this up to a bubbly stage (1-2 min).
- Take off heat and add margarine, and stir.
- Leave it for a minute and come back to stir again, doing this every couple of minutes to allow margarine to melt and cool filling w/o allowing a skin to form. After margarine melts put a lid on the mixture till you're ready to pour into pie crusts.
- For Meringue:.
- Beat salt and egg whites till frothy, then slowly add sugar.
- Beat till stiff peaks form when you raise the beaters.
- If you are making the meringue, add a spoonful of it to pie filling, pour filling into crusts, and then spread pie to crust edge.
- Peak it using a spoon.
- Bake in 325° oven till light brown on peaks.
- Cooking time will vary--just watch it.
Lemon pie perfection! Thanks!
Even though I really liked this pie and would have given it 5 stars I got mixed reviews from my guest. Some thought it was to tart others not tart enough. I didn't use all of the meringue because I usually don't put alot on top of my pie and it made alot. Thanks homegirl. Bullwinkle.