1/1 Photo of Old Fashioned Lemon Meringue Pie
This is my mother's recipe, and one thing my mother does better than anyone I know, is making pie. You can serve it w/o the meringue which is what I do as I'm not fond of it. I like variety so I like to put a cream cheese layer on the bottom sometimes and then the lemon over the top (since I don't use the meringue). This makes enough for 2-3 pies, depending on how full and tall you like them, however you can 1/2 the recipe. Also I use Alice's Pie Crust for the crust when I'm not being lazy (for that I use a Nilla wafer or shortbread crust).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups lemon juice
- 10 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup margarine
- pre-baked pie crust
- 1Heat sugar, 4-1/2 c water, and salt to boiling.
- 2Meanwhile, stir 1 cup water and cornstarch together.
- 3Slowly add cornstarch mixture into boiling sugar water.
- 4Cook till thick and clear.
- 5Beat egg yolks and lemon juice together and slowly add to sugar mixture.
- 6Bring this up to a bubbly stage (1-2 min).
- 7Take off heat and add margarine, and stir.
- 8Leave it for a minute and come back to stir again, doing this every couple of minutes to allow margarine to melt and cool filling w/o allowing a skin to form. After margarine melts put a lid on the mixture till you're ready to pour into pie crusts.
- 9For Meringue:.
- 10Beat salt and egg whites till frothy, then slowly add sugar.
- 11Beat till stiff peaks form when you raise the beaters.
- 12If you are making the meringue, add a spoonful of it to pie filling, pour filling into crusts, and then spread pie to crust edge.
- 13Peak it using a spoon.
- 14Bake in 325° oven till light brown on peaks.
- 15Cooking time will vary--just watch it.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Lemon Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (3783 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3305.0
- Calories from Fat 614
- Total Fat 68.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 1048.9 mg
- Sodium 3776.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 658.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 555.5 g
- Protein 32.9 g