Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love this drink so couldn't believe it when I saw it wasn't on Zaar. This is from the back of a packet of Pearl Barley. You can also experiment with a mixture of other citrus juices such as lime or grapefruit.
- Rinse the barley well.
- Cover barley in a pot with cold water & bring to the boil, drain.
- Return barley to saucepan with the lemon rind & 10 cups water, cook slowly for 1 hour.
- Add the lemon juice & sugar and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Strain and chill to serve.
- Discarded barley can be mixed with some dried fruit & nuts and warm milk and makes a great breakfast.
We love barley water, but this is the first time I've made it at home, and it turned out really well. I reduce the recipe to make one litre bottle. Very tasty! Thanks Mandy!
I already had my eye on this one when I saw the great reviews and pics from other folks...also I saw Alton Brown make plain Barley water on his show. This was very good. I have been in the habit of making lemonade from scratch lately so this was really one other simple added step. Unique, I like that. I am going to try this out on some friends without telling them what it is. I will also try a sweetener like honey or maple syrup, maybe stevia (for MIL) in the future. Thanks Mandy! Made for ZWT4.
I halved the recipe and enjoyed the lemony taste, and so healthy too! Thanks Mandy!