Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a wonderful bread that goes very well with tea. I like this recipe over other lemon bread recipes I've found because the glaze is allowed to saturate the bread all the way through.
Top Review by cuisinebymae
This bread is wonderful! It is so moist, and saturated with lemon flavour. I really like heating the glaze to melt the sugar. It goes on so smoothly, unlike the usual method which is "grainy" from the unmelted sugar.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour-dust a 4 1/2 by 8 1/2-inch loaf pan; preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; in a small bowl, beat eggs with milk, oil and lemon peel.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended and spread batter in prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes; meanwhile, prepare lemon glaze.
- Using a long wooden skewer, poke numerous holes in hot bread, piercing all the way to the bottom.
- Slowly drizzle hot glaze over bread; let cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes then remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- Lemon Glaze: In a small pan, combine lemon juice and sugar; stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.