1/7 Photos of Old Fashioned Lemon Balm and Lemon Verbena Lemonade Syrup
48 hrs 5 mins
French Tart's Note:
There are numerous recipes for lemon balm lemonade, and I have an old English recipe myself that I make regularly - but, if you find that it is sometimes a little "light" on the lemon flavour, add some lemon verbena for a super charged lemon kick! I have made this several times now and it is so refreshing and zingy, perfect for a hot summer's day. Once the syrup is made, it lasts for several weeks in the fridge, or several months in a cool dark place if you add the optional citric and tartaric acid. Serve with cold sparkling water and slices of lemon and a sprig of either lemon balm or lemon verbena.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the sugar, lemon halves and water into a saucepan and heat until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- 2Add the lemon verbena and lemon balm leaves and boil for 2 minutes; leave to cool. Add the citric or tartaric acid if using at this stage. Allow to cool and then cover and allow to infuse for 24 to 48 hours, depending on what strength you require. (I have left this for 3 days sometimes too, for a real lemon zing.).
- 3Sieve through a fine mesh or colander, discarding the lemon halves and the herb leaves - then pour into clean and sterile bottle/s; seal tightly and store in a cool dark place for several months or in the fridge for several weeks.
- 4To use: 1 part syrup to 4 parts water or sparkling water, to taste - add more for a stronger lemon flavour or less for a more delicate flavour. Add ice, a slice of lemon and some lemon balm or lemon verbena leaves as a garnish.
Browse Our Top Punch Beverage Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Punch Beverage Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Lemon Balm and Lemon Verbena Lemonade Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (1108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 881.5
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 230.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 224.8 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemon verbena leaves
lemon balm leaves