2 hrs 25 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This recipe comes from an August 1986 issue of Bon Appetit that featured an article titled "An Irish Ramble" that included recipes from Houses and Hotels in Ireland. Americans usually use lamb shoulder for Irish stew, but in Ireland neck slices are the thing. And here's some advice every good Irish cook heeds; "A stew boiled is a stew spoiled," meaning, keep the kettle at a simmer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs lamb necks, slices fat trimmed and reserved (1-inch thick)
- 4 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb medium carrot, peeled, halved crosswise and quartered lengthwise
- 1 lb medium boiling potato, peeled, one sliced thinly, remainder quartered
- 3 cups lamb stock or beef broth
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Mince lamb fat; cook in heavy Dutch oven over high heat until fat renders, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- 2Strain drippings and return to Dutch oven; heat over medium high heat.
- 3Pat lamb dry with paper towels, add in batches (do not crowd) and cook until brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- 4Transfer to large bowl using slotted spoon.
- 5Add sliced and chopped onions,carrots and sliced potato to pan and cook until light brown, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- 6Return lamb to pan, spooning vegetables on top; add stock.
- 7Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently 1 hour.
- 8Add quartered potatoes, pushing into liquid.
- 9Cover and simmer until potatoes and lamb are tender when pierced with fork, about 35 minutes.
- 10Drain liquid from pan into large heavy skillet; degrease cooking liquid.
- 11Boil until reduced by half, about 15 minutes; return to stew.
- 12Mix in 2 tablespoons parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 13Ladle stew onto heated platter, sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Irish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.0
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 345.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: