Recipe by grandma2969
these cookies are from Elinor Klivans and are not for summer...save them for warming up in the fall, or a winter evening or a wet spring afternoon...
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons crisco vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- to make the COOKIES:.
- sift the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, shortening, and sugar till blended -- about 1 minute.
- stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of bowl as needed during mixing.
- add the egg, molasses and sour cream and mix until blended and the color is an even light brown.about 1 minute.
- (at first the mixture may look seperated and multicolored, but it will become evenly colored).
- on low speed, add the flour mixture, mixing just until the flour is incorporated and a soft sticky dough forms.
- cover the bowl and chill until the dough is firm enough to form into balls -- about 2 hours.
- Position a rack in the middle of the ovwn.
- preheat the oven to 350* -- line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- for each cookie, use an ice cream scoop or measuring cup with 1/4 cup capacity to portion the dough, then roll each one between the palms of your hands into a ball.
- place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet -- spacing them 3" apart.
- Bake until the tops feel firm but the centers still feel soft, there are small cracks on top and the bottoms are slightly browned -- about 18 minutes --
- cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide metal spatula to transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- to prepare the ICING:.
- in a small bowl, stir the powdered sugar and vanilla together with enough milk to form a thick frosting.use a small spoon to drizzle the icing over each cookie.
- let the cookies sit at room temperature for up to 4 eays.