24 hrs 30 mins
To make this spectacular towering frozen dessert, layer a homemade cake with ice cream and fruit, from Recipe.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 egg whites
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream, softened (see note)
- 2/3 cup firm banana, finely chopped (1 small)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple, crushed and well-drained
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream, softened
- 2/3 cup strawberry, finely chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 7 maraschino cherries, with stems
- 1Grease and lightly flour two 9 x 1-1/2-inch round baking pans. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beating on low to medium speed after each addition just until combined. Thoroughly wash beaters.
- 3In another large mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold egg whites into beaten flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 4Bake in a 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks. Slice each cake layer in half horizontally with a long-bladed, serrated knife.
- 5Place a 9-inch spring-form pan in a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan. Place one layer of cake in the spring-form pan.
- 6Gently stir together chocolate ice cream and banana; spread over cake in pan. (It is okay if some ice cream runs down sides of cake.) Cover and freeze 30 minutes.
- 7Top with a second cake layer. Gently stir together vanilla ice cream and pineapple; spread atop second cake layer. Cover and freeze 30 minutes.
- 8Top with a third cake layer. Gently stir together strawberry ice cream and strawberries; spread atop third cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer. (Cake layer will rise above the top of spring-form pan.) Cover and freeze for 12 to 24 hours.
- 9To serve, remove cake from freezer. Remove from spring-form pan and place on a serving platter. Frost top and sides with dessert topping. Sprinkle with coconut and top with maraschino cherries. Let stand 20 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges. Store any remaining cake covered in the freezer.
- 11To soften ice cream: Place ice cream in a large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes; stir with a wooden spoon until just softened and spreadable but not melted.
- 12Prep time includes freezing time.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Sundae Cake
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.8
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 19.1 mg
- Sodium 227.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 37.2 g
- Protein 5.5 g