1/3 Photos of Old-Fashioned Hot Chocolate
I "lifted" this recipe for Le Chocolat Chaud a l'Ancienne from an old chocolate blog and it's intro reads: For a short period, Starbucks offered a premium hot chocolate beverage called Chantico. It was the best hot chocolate drink that could be bought: it was an intense rich chocolate beverage, coming in a tiny cup and enough to fill you up. Sadly, not enough people bought it and it was discontinued. But I’ve found a good recipe on this site and adapted it a little bit for my tastes, and let me tell you, the result is amazing. If you decide to make this on a cold wintry December night, just don’t try to drink too much — it’s very rich!
My Private Note
small s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch cinnamon or 1 pinch chili powder or 1 pinch cayenne, for mystery
- 4 tablespoons skim milk
- 4 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, grated or 9 tablespoons dark cocoa
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- sugar, to taste
- 1 -2 teaspoon of a sweet liqueur, adding it with the vanilla (such as dark rum or Grand Marnier) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ginger syrup (optional)
- unsweetened whipped cream (optional) or lightly sweetened whipped cream, as a garnish (optional)
- 1IF USING CHOCOLATE:.
- 2Grate chocolate (manually or in food processor fitted with steel blades). Add in corn starch, sugar, and salt.
- 3IF USING COCOA:.
- 4Mix solid ingredients, butter, and a little warmed milk to make a smooth paste; add remaining milk.
- 5In a one-quart, heavy-bottomed, non-aluminum saucepan, heat milk over medium low heat, stirring often with small whisk, until it is steaming hot. Carefully add chocolate mixture.
- 6Continue cooking mixture, stirring almost constantly with whisk and scraping bottom and sides of pot with heat resistant spatula frequently. Mixture will steam for several (15-20) minutes before coming to a boil, and will thicken slightly.
- 7When mixture boils, continue cooking and stirring for only 30 to 45 seconds.
- 8Remove from heat; whisk in vanilla, sugar (as much as you want) and any optional ingredients.
- 9TO SERVE:.
- 10Divide among small 4 cups or mugs, and mix 1 tablespoon of skim milk in each mug to achieve desired consistency; you may need to warm in microwave once skim is added.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Hot Chocolate
Serving Size: 1 (592 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.3
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 32.3 mg
- Sodium 91.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 4.7 g