Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Want to make your own cough drops? I thought ya'll might like this. I like to use herbs and wild edibles.
- 1⁄4 cup horehound leaves
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- confectioners' sugar
- Boil the horehound leaves in the 2 cups water for 10 minutes; discard leaves.
- Add twice as much honey as the remaining liquid and stir the mixture smooth.
- Then blend 2 cups of sugar with 1/8 tsp.
- of cream of tartar in a saucepan, and add the honey-horehound mixture.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar melts.
- Then lower flame and continue stirring till a dollop of the candy forms a hard ball when dropped in cold water.
- At that point, pour syrup into buttered baking dish and cut into small squares as candy begins to harden.
- Finally, roll in confectioners sugar and then granulated sugar and store in airtight containers.
"Just 2 cups of sugar, makes the medicine go down..." The 4 kids that I take care of have been very sick all week, really enjoyed these (it was the only medicine they would willingly take without putting up a fight) If you have difficulty with sick children, I highly recommend you make these.