Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is our favorite homemade ice cream. From the Rival ice cream manual. Be patient while adding the small bit of milk to the eggs. The slower you can add the eggs to the hot mixture the easier it will be to thicken. Time does NOT include 2 hour chilling time.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine sugar, salt and milk in saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until mixture almost boils.
- Reduce to low.
- Gradually stir about 1/2 cup of hot mil into the beaten eggs.
- Add eggs to remaining hot mixture.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 5 minute.
- Remove from heat and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Combine whipping cream, vanilla and chilled mixture, stirring with a wire whisk to combine.
- Pour into canister and churn.
Looking for an ice cream recipe which does not require an ice cream maker I decided to give this one a try - and it turned out great! I heated one whole vanilla bean with the milk and removed it when reducing the heat and combining with the eggs. Then I cooled the hot mixture in a cold bain marie whisking constantly, refrigerated as suggested for two hours, whipped the whipping cream and folded it into the cooled mixture along with vanilla essence. This was really delicious, thanks for posting!