Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was given to me by my Aunt Helen,she has been making ice cream this way for 60 years or more. Of course then they went to the milk house for the cream. I added the peaches. As far as the fact that it contains raw eggs- I just don't worry about it. The ice cream is worth the risk.
- 5 -6 very ripe peaches, peeled and pitted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream or 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 gallon milk (more or less)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Put peaches pieces, eggs,cream 1cup sugar and vanilla in blender.
- Blend just til peaches are smashed.
- Do not blend to long or you will whip the cream!
- Pour in 1 gal ice cream maker, then pour some of the milk and lemon juice in blender add last 1 cup sugar blend quickly-you do this to get all the goodie out of the blender.
- Pour this in maker.
- Fill to fill line on maker with milk.
- Put into freezer and fasten in, turn on ice cream maker, then start putting in layers of ice and salt.
- Finish according to makers directions.
Taste's great! I have a smaller maker and didn't have room for all of the milk/sugar/lemon juice (probably 1/2 of what was called for). Came out great though!
I followed this recipe to the letter. The peaches were perfectly ripe and juicy, each ingredient measured exactly, churned until ready, packed with ice and salt, and it tasted awful. The texture of the ice cream was spot-on though. I guess grandma had a secret ingredient in her's that wasn't in this recipe. Sorry Virginia, this southern gent wasn't all that crazy about this recipe.
Very good recipe!!! I have a little ice cream maker so I had to put it in a the mix in a bowl in the frig and do it in batches... worked just fine. Thanks!!!