Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an excellent relish! Found this somewhere out on the web and it truly is yummy on hamburgers.
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red peppers or 1 medium yellow pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt or 1 tablespoon pickling salt or 1 tablespoon non-iodized salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 12 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- In a large enamel or stainless steel bowl, mix the cucumbers, onion, peppers, celery, salt, turmeric and water.
- Let stand for 12 hours or overnight, then drain in a strainer, lightly pressing out any excess liquid. Set aside.
- Tie up cinnamon, cloves and allspice in a piece of cheesecloth.
- In a large, heavy, enamel or stainless steel saucepan, bring the spices and vinegar to a boil over moderate heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered until the tomatoes resemble a puree- about 30 minutes.
- Add the sugar and mustard seeds, cover and let stand overnight at room temperature.
- Add the drained vegetables to the tomato mixture and bring to a boil over moderately high heat.
- Then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered until most of the liquid has evaporated- 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the spice bag.
- Ladle into 4 hot, sterilized 1/2 pint preserving jars leaving 1/2 inch of head space.
- Wipe the jar rims clean, seal and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Label, then let the relish mellow in a cool dry place for at least 3 weeks before using.
- Refrigerate after opening.
- Please Note: Takes 2 days prep time (approx) and 1 hour and 25 minutes cooking time to make.