This is an excellent relish! Found this somewhere out on the web and it truly is yummy on hamburgers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red peppers or 1 medium yellow pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt or 1 tablespoon pickling salt or 1 tablespoon non-iodized salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 12 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1In a large enamel or stainless steel bowl, mix the cucumbers, onion, peppers, celery, salt, turmeric and water.
- 2Let stand for 12 hours or overnight, then drain in a strainer, lightly pressing out any excess liquid. Set aside.
- 3Tie up cinnamon, cloves and allspice in a piece of cheesecloth.
- 4In a large, heavy, enamel or stainless steel saucepan, bring the spices and vinegar to a boil over moderate heat.
- 5Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- 6Add the tomatoes, increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered until the tomatoes resemble a puree- about 30 minutes.
- 7Add the sugar and mustard seeds, cover and let stand overnight at room temperature.
- 8Add the drained vegetables to the tomato mixture and bring to a boil over moderately high heat.
- 9Then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered until most of the liquid has evaporated- 25 to 30 minutes.
- 10Remove the spice bag.
- 11Ladle into 4 hot, sterilized 1/2 pint preserving jars leaving 1/2 inch of head space.
- 12Wipe the jar rims clean, seal and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- 13Label, then let the relish mellow in a cool dry place for at least 3 weeks before using.
- 14Refrigerate after opening.
- 15Please Note: Takes 2 days prep time (approx) and 1 hour and 25 minutes cooking time to make.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Hamburger Relish
Serving Size: 1 (2938 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.4
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3126.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 53.0 g
- Protein 2.9 g