Prep 5 hrs
Cook 5 hrs
From Epicurious, the only ham recipe that's ever worked for me!
- 10 lbs smoked ham, with rind preferably shank end
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice or 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2⁄3 cup golden brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 honey
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Method 1: Place ham in large roasting pan. Pour apple juice over ham. Cover ham completely with parchment paper, then cover ham and roasting pan completely with heavy duty foil, sealing tightly at edges of pan.
- Bake ham until thermometer reads 145 F, about 1 hour 10 minutes or 7 minutes per pound.
- Remove ham from oven. Increase oven temp to 375°F.
- Method 2: instead of using parchment paper and foil, use a turkey bag.
- Remove foil and parchment paper from ham or remove ham from bag.
- Drain and discard liquids from roasting pan.
- Cut off rind and all but 1/4 inch thick layer of fat from ham and discard.
- Using long sharp knife, score fat in 1 inch wide 1/4 inch deep diamond pattern.
- Spread mustard evenly over fat layer on ham.
- Pat brown sugar over mustard coating, pressing firmly to adhere.
- Drizzle honey evenly over.
- Bake until ham is well glazed, spooning any mustard and sugar glaze that slides into roasting pan back over ham, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer ham to serving platter and let cool at least 45 minutes.
- Slice ham and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.