Recipe by grandma2969
this is a dark dense gingerbread..makes your entire house smell yummy
Top Review by pies & cakes & cookies ohmy!
This recipe is confusing. It tasted ok, but the texture was a bit dry. I probably overbaked it. 45 minutes was way too long, and even at 35, it was dry. Also didn't understand the orange zest and ginger at the end. Assume it was a garnish, but it wasn't specified. The directions need a definite correction, as the sugar isn't even mentioned in them. New bakers could end up with quite an interesting cake!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup candied ginger, finely minced
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 350*.
- butter and flour 11 x7 metal baking pan.
- using electric mixer, beat 1 cup butter in large bowl, until blended.
- beat in 3/4 cup molasses -- then eggs, one at a time, sift in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt.beat until blended.
- beat in 1/4 cup cream, then 3/4 cup boiling water.
- transfer to prepared pan.
- bake cake until tester inserted near the center comes out clean.about 45 minutes.
- cool cake in pan on rack.till completely cooled.
- beat 1 1/4 cups cream and 1 tbls sugar until peaks form.
- fold in 2tbls molasses until streaks appear.do not overmix.
- cut cake into slices.transfer to plates.
- serve with molasses whipped cream'.