Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe from one of the first cookbooks my Mom gave me when I got married. It comes from McCall's Dessert Discoveries, cookbook #7 of 19 books.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 egg
- 1 cup light molasses
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted OR
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup water, hot
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce, well-chilled
- 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream, whipped
- Make Gingerbread Ring:.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 5-1/2 cup round mold.
- Into medium bowl, sift flour with baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In large bowl, using portable electric mixer, beat egg with molasses, butter, and 1/2 cup hot water until well combined.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture, beating until smooth.
- Turn into prepared round mold; bake 25 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- While gingerbread bakes, make Apple Filling.
- Apple Filling:.
- Fold applesauce and sugar into whipped cream, to combine well. Refrigerate until serving.
- Let gingerbread cool in pan 10 minutes. Then turn out, and serve warm, or let cool completely on wire rack.
- Fill center of ring with Apple Filling, and serve.
good and easy! didnt do the sauce, and made these in cute teddy bear tins, wonderful! going to freeze a few for easter.
If you're like me, gingerbread isn't just for the winter holidays ~ I love making this kind of stuff year-round! I followed the recipe right on down while using some homemade, chunky applesauce in the filling, & we had A VERY, VERY WONDERFUL GINGERBREAD TREAT! Many thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #27]