Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Fabulous New Zealand Loaf. A loaf tin for this is 25cm x 11cm.
- 50 g butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a medium saucepan, gently melt the butter and golden syrup together.
- In a mixer cream together egg, and sugar - mix well.
- Add the melted syrup mixture.
- Sift and mix in all other ingredients except the baking soda and milk.
- Mix the baking soda with the milk then gradually stir this into the mix. The mixture will be quite runny.
- Pour into loaf tin and cook for about 35 mins or until ready when tested with skewer.
Very, very good. So easy to make and it came out perfect. My mixed spice was 1/4 teaspoon each of cinnamon, cloves, cardamon and ginger (a little more ginger can't hurt.......). It smelled wonderful while baking and was even nicer when cooled. I also liked the fact that the syrup was not overpowering, just a hint. All in all a gingerbread I will surely make again. Thanks for posting.
This is really a wonderful gingerbread. I used an 8x4 loaf pan and got a higher rise. The sugar was cut to 1/8 cup of Splenda Brown Sugar and as I wasn't really sure what was meant by mixed spice I used 1 tsp of Penzeys Cake Spice. It turned out very well and the baking aroma is pure pleasure. Added it to my Keepers Cookbook.
Excellent! So good it will be going into regular rotation. I loved it everyone I know loved it, which I know because I felt the need to pass it around. Only changes I made were using molasses instead of golden syrup and halving the flour with whole wheat.