Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Fabulous New Zealand Loaf. A loaf tin for this is 25cm x 11cm.
- 50 g butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a medium saucepan, gently melt the butter and golden syrup together.
- In a mixer cream together egg, and sugar - mix well.
- Add the melted syrup mixture.
- Sift and mix in all other ingredients except the baking soda and milk.
- Mix the baking soda with the milk then gradually stir this into the mix. The mixture will be quite runny.
- Pour into loaf tin and cook for about 35 mins or until ready when tested with skewer.
This is really a wonderful gingerbread. I used an 8x4 loaf pan and got a higher rise. The sugar was cut to 1/8 cup of Splenda Brown Sugar and as I wasn't really sure what was meant by mixed spice I used 1 tsp of Penzeys Cake Spice. It turned out very well and the baking aroma is pure pleasure. Added it to my Keepers Cookbook.
Excellent! So good it will be going into regular rotation. I loved it everyone I know loved it, which I know because I felt the need to pass it around. Only changes I made were using molasses instead of golden syrup and halving the flour with whole wheat.
really easy to make, did'nt have any golden syrup so used tbsp of maple syrup and tsp of honey, only used half the amount of brown sugar (not enough left...ha), then equal portions of cinnamon raw suar, and vanilla sugar, and added a tbsp of orange zest for extra freakyness.
all worked perfectly.
thanks heaps bol
a keeper for sure