1/6 Photos of Old-Fashioned Gingerbread
1 hr 23 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Yummy sounding gingerbread recipe from John Zehnder, the Food/Beverage Director of Zehnder's Restaurant in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Prep time includes an hour for chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR ICING
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Cream together butter and sugar, then beat in molasses and egg.
- 3Mix all dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- 4Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter/sugar mixture and mix until well blended.
- 5Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- 6Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a 3/4-inch thickness.
- 7Cut into 3-inch squares, or use your choice of cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
- 8Place on cookie sheets and bake 7-8 minutes.
- 9Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- 10If you plan to ice your gingerbread, prepare the icing now.
- 11Mix all icing ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Gingerbread
Serving Size: 1 (1123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4477.1
- Calories from Fat 1478
- Total Fat 164.2 g
- Saturated Fat 100.7 g
- Cholesterol 622.5 mg
- Sodium 2818.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 721.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 437.0 g
- Protein 41.9 g