Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is wonderfull stuff with lots of childhood memories. Made new by Cooking Smart for a Healthy Heart, Readers Digest.
- 314.66 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml pumpkin pie spice (or make a mix of your favourite spices)
- 3.69 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 59.14 ml light molasses
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 59.16 ml margarine
- 118.29 ml packed dark brown sugar
- 9.85 ml grated peeled fresh ginger
- 44.37 ml finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 177.44 ml confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Generously coat 8-inch square cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place cooling rack on waxed paper.
- Whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- Blend applesauce, molasses and egg in separate bowl.
- Cream margarine and brown sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer at high speed until light, 3 or 4 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and beat in applesauce mixture.
- Stir in flour mixture with wooden spoon just until combined.
- Blend in fresh ginger.
- Scrape batter into cake pan.
- Bake until cake tester inserted in centre comes out with moist crumbs clinging, about 45 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set right side up on rack.
- Cool completely.
- Scatter crystallized ginger on top of ginerbread.
- Blend confectioners' sugar with enough water (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) to make spreadable glaze.
- Drizzle glaze over crystallized ginger with fork, letting some glaze drizzle down sides.
- Or do not glaze, add a dollop of whipped cream.