1 hr 15 mins
This is wonderfull stuff with lots of childhood memories. Made new by Cooking Smart for a Healthy Heart, Readers Digest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or make a mix of your favourite spices)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Generously coat 8-inch square cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3Place cooling rack on waxed paper.
- 4Whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- 5Blend applesauce, molasses and egg in separate bowl.
- 6Cream margarine and brown sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer at high speed until light, 3 or 4 minutes.
- 7Reduce speed to low and beat in applesauce mixture.
- 8Stir in flour mixture with wooden spoon just until combined.
- 9Blend in fresh ginger.
- 10Scrape batter into cake pan.
- 11Bake until cake tester inserted in centre comes out with moist crumbs clinging, about 45 minutes.
- 12Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- 13Remove from pan and set right side up on rack.
- 14Cool completely.
- 15Scatter crystallized ginger on top of ginerbread.
- 16Blend confectioners' sugar with enough water (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) to make spreadable glaze.
- 17Drizzle glaze over crystallized ginger with fork, letting some glaze drizzle down sides.
- 18Or do not glaze, add a dollop of whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Gingerbread
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.9
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 232.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: