Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
While growing up all over the world, the one thing I missed about Germany was a breadlike pudding that my neighbor Babel would make for us kids while we waited for our parents to come home from work. Finally after all these years.. I located the orginal recipe and here it is.. This beats bread pudding. And I LOVE BREAD PUDDING.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, not margarine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 quart half-and-half
- Cut butter into flour and sugar mixture.
- add water,
- roll on floured surface to 1/4 inch thick,.
- brush with butter and liberally dust nut meg and sugar mixture,
- Reserve 1/2 for later. Roll jelly roll style, cut in two.
- Seal both ends of each roll. place in 9x13 pan.
- Pour 3/4 quart of half and half over rolls sprinkle rest of sugar mixture on top.
- Place in oven uncovered for one hour at 325*.
This German Roll was easy to prepare. I made it for my Grandma's 88th Birthday, as she loves bread pudding and I thought she would like this too... and she did. I didn't use 6 T of nutmeg. I thought it sounded like alot. I used 4 t nutmeg and 3 t cinnamon. Other than that, I didn't make any other changes. Thanks for posting. Made for PAC - Spring 2008