Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is the best frosting Ive ever had, the recipe has been passed down through my family. Sometimes after the paste is refrigerated there may be tiny lumps in it. I just push it through a small sieve before adding it to the butter mixture. This recipe can easily be made into chocolate frosting by adding Hershey's cocoa. I usually double this recipe when making a cake. To do so, perform STEP ONE twice instead of just doubling the ingredients once. It will be perfect! Creamy, fluffy and not overly sweet!
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- STEP ONE: sift the flour.
- Pour milk into a jar and add the sifted flour.
- Shake hard for 1-1/2 minutes.
- Pour into pan and stir CONSTANTLY over medium-medium high heat with a wire whisk paste will thicken as you cook, the thicker the better (it may boil, then you know it's just about done). Remove from heat and immediately cover paste with wax paper so the paper just slightly touches the top of the mixture.
- Make sure it is covered completely.
- Quickly put it in the refrigerator until cool (about 2 hours).
- STEP 2: Cream butter for a while before adding sugar.
- Add sugar and mix until it is no longer grainy.
- SLOWLY add the refrigerated paste, one spoonful at a time.
- Mix in vanilla.
I use this recipe all the time (in fact it is posted here with one of my chocolate cake recipes). It is THEE BEST frosting ever! The only downside is that it is pretty high in the fat department, but it is soooooo worth it :) It is not the easiest to make (I beat it for 5 - 10 minutes after adding the paste) but again...it is soooooo worth it! It comes out so cool and light and the taste it beyond describing. I find it does tend to melt in the warmer weather...so the cake does need to be refrigerated, but it is also great cold. Anyone who thinks it is too much work...try it and you will see that after you taste the first bite, you will not want to buy canned frosting again!
So nice.. Haha my arms needs more muscles.. Love the recipe x
This frosting is amazing! It was light and not too sweet. My family loved it and I will be using this from now on. Thank you for sharing!