In 'Simply Sensational Cookies' by Nancy Baggett
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar or 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup dark seedless raisins, rinsed, drained, patted dry on paper towels
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 1Position a rack in the middle of oven; preheat to 350°.
- 2Grease several large baking sheets or coat with nonstick spray.
- 3In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, stirring, until completely melted and runny; remove from heat.
- 4Thoroughly stir the oats and 1 tablespoon water into the butter.
- 5Let stand for 5 minutes so the oats can hydrate.
- 6Vigorously stir in the sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt until thoroughly incorporated.
- 7Vigorously stir in the egg and raisins, then the flour until very well blended.
- 8If the dough is very soft, stir in 1-2 tablespoons more flour.
- 9If it is still soft, let stand to firm up for 5 minutes.
- 10In a large bowl, vigorously stir the brown sugar into the butter until well blended, mashing out any sugar
- 11Using a 1 1/2-inch spring-loaded scoop or heaping measuring tablespoon, form the dough into uniform mounds, spacing about 2 1/2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- 12Using your fingertips, pat down the mounds just slightly.
- 13Bake one sheet at a time for 7-10 minutes or until the cookies are barely firm in the center tops , tinged with brown, and slightly darker at the edges.
- 14Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks; let stand until the cookies firm up for 3 minutes.
- 15Using a wide spatula, transfer the cookies to the wire racks; let cool completely.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Farmhouse Oatmeal Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1017 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.9
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.7 mg
- Sodium 32.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 1.4 g